Susan de Carvalho (essay date 1992)
SOURCE: "Escrituras y Escritoras: The Artist-Protagonist of Isabel Allende," in Discurso Literario, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1992, pp. 59-67.
[In the essay below, de Carvalho examines the self-exploration of the narrators in Eva Luna and The House of the Spirits.]
Isabel Allende has noted that La casa de los espíritus (1982) is the story of her family, or of a family similar to her own. She says that her grandmother was in fact clairvoyant and telekinetic, essentially similar to Clara. It follows,...
(The entire page is 3838 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE