At a glance:
- Author: Saki
- First Published: 1919
- Type of Plot: Suspense
- Time of Work: The late nineteenth century
- Setting: The Carpathian Mountains in Eastern Europe
- Characters: Ulrich von Gradwitz, Georg Znaeym
- Genres: Short fiction, Suspense
- Subjects: Nature, Friendship, Accidents, Revenge, Inheritance or succession, Disabilities or physically challenged persons
- Locales: Europe
This fablelike story of vendetta and reconciliation begins with a short history of conflict between two families in the Carpathian Mountains of Eastern Europe. Ulrich von Gradwitz, the local nobleman, is patrolling a narrow stretch of scrubby woodland that borders his much larger and more valuable holdings of forestland. The land that he patrols, however, acquires its value in his eyes because it was the subject of a lawsuit between his grandfather and the grandfather of a neighbor, Georg Znaeym, now his archenemy. At the origin of the conflict, each family held that...
(The entire page is 1513 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- What is the theme of the story, "The Interlopers"?
- What is the setting of "The Interlopers" and how does the setting contribute to the mood of the story.
- What is the moral or lesson learned in the story, "The Interlopers"?
- What is the central conflict of the story?
- Three possible interpretations of "The Interlopers"? What are three possible interpretations of "The Interlopers"?