- Social and Political Impact of the First Phase of the Industrial Revolution: Words to Know
- The Reform Bill of 1832
- Worker challenges to the Industrial Revolution: The Luddites
- Socialism: Workers as a political force
- Trade unions
- Capitalist, Bourgeoisie, and Proletariat: New Ways of Describing Society
- For More Information
From 1800 to 1850, the population of England and Wales doubled, from nine million to eighteen million. During the same period, the proportion of people living in cities rose from 10 percent to 50 percent. Put together, the...
(The entire page is 7966 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE