Illegal immigration, especially from Mexico, threatens the United States in several different ways, according to the following viewpoint by Ted Hayes. He argues that illegal immigrants harm America’s economy by using up social services and by taking jobs that otherwise would go to Americans. They harm American culture by refusing to assimilate within it and maintaining a foreign cultural identity. Finally, Hayes contends that they threaten America’s sovereignty because the United States is losing control over who comes over its borders. A former instructor in political science at the...
(The entire page is 1059 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE