At a glance:
- Author: Milan Kundera
- First Published: 2000
- Type of Work: Novel
- Time of Work: The 1950’s to the 1990’s
- Setting: Paris, Prague, and a provincial city in Bohemia
- Characters: Irena, Josef, Martin, Gustaf, Sylvie, Irena’s mother, Josef’s brother, Josef’s sister-in-law, Josef’s stepdaughter, Milada, N.
- Genres: Long fiction
- Subjects: 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, Traveling or travelers, France or French people, Love or romance, Sex or sexuality, Twentieth century, Exile or expatriates, Paris, 1980's, Home, 1990's, Czechoslovakia or Czechoslovakians, Popular music
- Locales: Paris, France, Bohemia, Prague, Czechoslovakia
Though first published in a Spanish translation, Ignorance is the latest of three novels that Milan Kundera has written in French after making his mark in his native Czech with poetry, plays, criticism, and fiction, most notably the novels Le Livre du rire et de l’oubli (1979; The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, 1980) and L’Insoutenable Légèreté de l’être (1984; The Unbearable Lightness of Being, 1984). Like many other Czech artists and intellectuals, Kundera was booted from the Communist Party after the Prague Spring of 1968, and...
(The entire page is 1782 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE