- Alfred, Lord Tennyson (Critical Survey of Drama, Second Revised Edition)
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson (Critical Survey of Poetry: British, Irish, & Commonwealth Poets)
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson (Dictionary of World Biography: The 19th Century)
At a glance:
- Author: Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- Type of Work: Narrative Poem
- Genres: Poetry, Narrative poetry, Arthurian romance
- Subjects: Magic or magicians, England or English people, Kings, queens, or royalty, Middle Ages, Great Britain, Knights or knighthood, Chivalry, Fifth century
- Locales: England
Young Arthur establishes his kingdom, marries Guinevere, and prospers for a time in Camelot. Sir Gareth, inspired by his King, is able to overcome significant odds to secure a maiden’s release and win the hand of his beloved.
Soon, however, suspicion begins to divide the realm. Sir Geraint removes his bride Enid from Camelot to wander through the land and almost dies before he is convinced of his wife’s fidelity. Twins Balin and Balan kill each other because the former fails to recognize his brother, who has been driven to madness by his knowledge of the Queen’s infidelity...
(The entire page is 625 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- In "The Passing of Arthur" from Idylls of the King by Alfred Lord Tennyson, which images are the most striking?
- Please explain the following quotation with reference to context "The old order gives way to the new lest one good custom should corrupt...
- What are some good topics or thesis statements for a research paper on Idylls of the King? I really hate having to pose this...
- In Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem Idylls of the King, what are some of the main themes in the section VIII -- the section about the...