Grandmother Baxter: Marguerite’s “nearly white” grandmother in St. Louis
Tutti, Tom, and Ira Baxter: Mother Dear’s brothers and Marguerite’s uncles
Pat Patterson: curses Vivian and is attacked by Vivian and her brothers
Mr. Freeman: Mother Dear’s (Vivian’s) live-in boyfriend
Chapter 10 describes the new people, places, and schoolrooms of St. Louis. The children hear family stories they have never heard before; for instance, they hear the story of how Mother (“Bibbi”) is cursed by Pat Patterson...
(The entire page is 379 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE