At a glance:
- Author: Isabel Allende
- First Published: 1982
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Magical Realism
- Time of Work: 1920’s-1970’s
- Genres: Long fiction, Social realism, Historical fiction, Family literature, Magical Realism, Novel
- Subjects: 1950's, Dictators, 1960's, 1970's, Family or family life, Class conflict, Politics, Supernatural, 1940's, Class consciousness, Writing, 1920's, 1930's, Pregnancy, Rape, Ethnic relations, Oppression, Developing countries, Multiculturalism, Revenge, Illegitimacy, Idealism, Disasters, Earthquakes, Natural disasters, South America or South Americans, Latin America or Latin Americans, Torture
- Locales: South America, Chile
Tres Marías. Hacienda of the Trueba family, which the family patriarch, Esteban Trueba, rebuilds from ruin several times. After growing up poor and working several years in a diamond mine to earn money, Esteban puts his money and energy into rebuilding the ruined country estate, making it one of the most successful in the country and enhancing his wealth considerably. He rebuilds it again after the house is destroyed by an earthquake and yet again after the land is turned over to the peasants for two years during the socialist...
(The entire page is 1327 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- What is the setting in House of the Spirits?
- How does magical realism in The House of The Spirits affect its tone as well as different aspects and themes ?
- Narration and Point of View I need help to find and make notes of quotations for each narrator. At least 3 examples for each narrator. With...
- What is each character's attitude toward Uncle Marcos?
- What is the connection that Isabel Allende had with Salvador Allende? How is he represented in Allende's novel The House of...