The Life and Work of Sandra Cisneros
“If I were asked what it is I write about,” says Sandra Cisneros, “I would have to say I write about those ghosts inside that haunt me.” These ghosts—of poverty, sexism, and racism—populate The House on Mango Street, the novel that won Cisneros the Before Columbus American Book Award in 1985 and also won the hearts of thousands of readers across America. Originally published in 1984, this brilliant collage of character sketches and stories is revolutionary in its simple, honest look at issues such as the discrimination,...
(The entire page is 3610 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE