At a glance:
- Author: Jane Smiley
- First Published: 2000
- Type of Work: Novel
- Time of Work: 1997-1999
- Setting: The United States and Europe
- Characters: Alexander Maybrick, Rosalind Maybrick, Eileen, Dick Winterson, Audrey Schmidt, Tiffany Morse, Krista Magnelli, Deirdre Donohue, Joy Gorham, Elizabeth Zada, Farley Jones, Buddy Crawford, Leo, Audrey Schmidt, Mr. T, Justa Bob, Residual, Limitless, Froney’s Sis, Epic Steam
- Genres: Long fiction
- Subjects: United States or Americans, Dogs, Love or romance, Twentieth century, Europe or Europeans, Extrasensory perception or powers, Marriage, Adultery, Depression, mental, 1990's, Horses, Animals, Horsemanship
- Locales: Europe, United States
Jane Smiley is the author of ten works of fiction, including A Thousand Acres (1991), which won the Pulitzer Prize. Her novel Horse Heaven continues her interest in contemporary subcultures—microcosms whose comedies and tragedies throw light on the workings of the larger world. Previously, for instance, her novel Moo (1995) examined the world of the contemporary American university, while in Horse Heaven Smiley turns to the subculture of those who raise and race horses. This is a very big, busy, fluid novel that is almost chaotic in terms of its...
(The entire page is 1901 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE