Since the dawn of the gay rights movement in the late 1960s, religious leaders have cited passages from the Bible that they say support their belief that homosexuality is immoral and sinful. The church’s position on homosexuality quickly caused a rift between staunch believers and gays and lesbians who resented being told that they were evil and depraved. Recently, several gay and lesbian activists examined the biblical passages in question and interpreted them as indifferent to homosexuality. Biblical scholars and homosexual advocates are now deeply divided over whether the Bible...
(The entire page is 714 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE