Why is lead injurious to health?

1 Answer | Add Yours

kapokkid's profile pic

kapokkid | High School Teacher | (Level 1) Educator Emeritus

Posted on

Lead is particularly dangerous to children, one of the first places that people found the effects, because of the fact that it inhibits the development of the nervous system and leads to all kinds of developmental issues.

The element itself is simply poisonous, so the absorption of it or consumption of it leads to complications within a variety of organs including the heart, bones, kidneys, and others.

Lead poisoning can occur as an acute problem where some of it is consumed directly or there is a heavy dose of exposure, chronic lead poisoning is something that occurs over time as the body absorbs lead from whatever source over years and years and it builds up in the body, increasing toxicity as time goes on.

We’ve answered 317,616 questions. We can answer yours, too.

Ask a question