Better Students Ask More Questions.
Why is the bacterium Pseudomonas so dangerous?
2 Answers | add yours
Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a virulent bacteria, because of it's secreted toxic components, substances that have the ability to destroy tissues and blood cells. The good news is that the bacterium is an opportunist, that means that it causes infections only under certain conditions: e.g. in the context of other infections, when the body is already weak, in infants with congenital anomalies, dystrophic children, people with cystic fibrosis who are more susceptible to infections, etc.. So, in conclusion, it infects people who have a weak immune defense.
The bacterium is so dangerous because it is resistant to many antibiotics: e.g. penicillin and others. It has high resistance to antibiotics because it contains in it's structure, more accurate in it's the membrane, some proteins that eliminate antibiotics to the outside as they entered inside the bacteria, before they manage to destroy it. This is a natural antibiotic resistance but the resistance could be also acquired, because of the unjustified use of antibiotics.
Posted by giorgiana1976 on March 27, 2010 at 3:43 AM (Answer #1)
Middle School Teacher
Pseudomonas is dangerous to those persons who have an impaired immune system. For those individuals who are healthy is isn't nearly as dangerous. It causes many different kinds of infections such as urinary tract infections, respiratory infections, tissue infections, and bone and joint infections. It can also cause some infections in the heart. This bacteria tends to infect people who have cancer, AIDS, or patients with sever burns. It can be fatal in patients with these ailments.
This bacteria is usually found in soil and water. It can also be found on the surface of plants and sometimes animals. It is aerobic, rod shaped, and a gram negative bacteria.
Posted by besure77 on March 27, 2010 at 4:29 AM (Answer #2)
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.