2 Answers | Add Yours
There are many government agencies that are involved in one way or another with issues that have to do with global warming and climate change.
One of the most important is the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration (better known as NOAA). This agency is the one that is most closely involved in things like monitoring the climate to determine how it is changing. It is involved in trying to understand what impacts this will have on climate and weather in various parts of the United States. Another agency that is involved in this sort of thing to some degree is the US Geological Survey (USGS). USGS is also involved in the study of climate change.
One agency that is involved with trying to create policy to mitigate the effects of climate change is the Department of Energy. It is involved in trying to determine the amount of greenhouse gases being emitted and in finding ways to reduce those emissions. The Environmental Protection Agency is also involved in this to some degree.
For a longer list of agencies involved, please follow this link.
The federal agencies that are part of the Climate Change Working Group include the following:
- Department of Agriculture, Global Climate Change
- Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Climate; Climate Change Program; Office of General Counsel for International Law
- Department of Energy (DoE): Energy Information Administration, Environment: energy-related emission data and environmental analyses; Office of Biological and Environmental Research, Climate and Environmental Science Division
- Department of Health and Human Services, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Climate Change and Public Health
- Department of Housing and Urban Development, Community Planning and Development, Green Homes and Communities
- Department of Interior, US Geological Survey (USGS), Climate Change Science; National Wetlands Research Center
- Department of Justice, Environmental Management System
- Department of State, Climate Change
- Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Commission
Among these agencies, the NOAA and DoE carry out a dominant portion of climate change related work in the United States. Each of these departments/agencies has their own jurisdiction and works within those bounds.
We’ve answered 395,715 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question