What were some main ideas expressed in the Declaration of Independence?
1 Answer | Add Yours
The most important ideas in the Declaration are found early in the document. In that part of the document, Jefferson is spelling out the theory that allowed the colonists to claim that they had the right to rebel against England. These ideas include:
- All men are created equal
- All men have basic human rights given to them by God
- The only reason to have a government is to protect these basic human rights, which Jefferson lists as "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
- Government must be by the consent of the governed.
- If these last two conditions are not met, the people have the right to rebel against and overthrow their government.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes