- Download PDF
6 Answers | Add Yours
The arguments I would use if I were trying to persuade people of the need for school uniforms would be:
- If students are all wearing uniforms, there is no need to worry about them wearing gang symbols or inappropriately revealing clothes.
- The students will not have to look at each other and be jealous of those who have nicer clothes. This would reduce the psychological distance between the various economic classes of students in a school.
- The parents would likely be able to save money on clothes because their children would not need so many different outfits for school.
- Finally, it might encourage students to feel more professional and studious.
The previous posts were well driven. The element of professional dress is a compelling one. In a fashion age when being risque is something that is encouraged, uniforms make a strong statement. The idea that school is an arena where clothing distractions and the potential for "wardrobe malfunction" are minimized could be a very persuasive point. I think the other element is that, in an odd way, uniforms build a sense of community. All students dressing in a consistent manner, allowing all to share a common link or experience, might help in building community or shared narratives.
Here are a few arguments:
1. You can argue that uniforms allow for there to be equality among the students in terms of wealth. In this way, no one will feel superior or inferior. There are power dynamics in place through dress.
2. Uniforms also allow students to not worry about what they will wear. In fact, this is a no brainer.
3. Uniforms also give a level of respect for learning, especially if the uniforms are more formal. This may give the proper stance towards education.
Hi Kennishwalters! I just worked on a paper about this with an ELL student I'm tutoring. One point is how wearing uniforms affects the students around them. Another is how wearing uniforms affects the school. Another is how uniform wearing affects society. Some suggestions for narrower topics are: wearing uniforms cutting down on gang activity, wearing uniforms helping promote equality in the classroom, and wearing uniforms destroying class prejudice.
Hope this answers your question.
We’ve answered 327,659 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question