What are some good metaphors or similes that reveal intelligence, determination, motivation, strength, perfection or persistence?
They do not all have to be in one quote. Thank You!
2 Answers | Add Yours
Here are some similes and metaphors you might consider using:
1. INTELLEGENCE: Johnny raised his arm to asnwer every question so the others thought he was as smart as a rocket-scientist. (simile)
2. DETERMINATION: The children were so adamant about building their card tower just right, they looked like a bunch of worker ants trying to build their ant hill. (simile)
3. MOTIVATION: Mom lit a fire under Robbie today. His whole room was clean and shiny without a speck of dirty clothing anywhere in 38 short minutes. (metaphor)
4. STRENGTH: Robert is as strong as an ox. (simile)
5. PERFECTION: The hairstylist so finely manicured John's hair it was as if she was an accountant tabulating just how many needed to be cut. (simile)
6. PERSISTENCE: Rachel ran her race with the persistence of the Energizer bunny. She just kept going and going. (Metaphor)
As a suggestion about writing metaphors, remember that there are four ways to write metaphors, depending on whether the literal and figurative terms are respectively named or implied:
1. In the first form, both the literal and figurative terms are named.
e.g. Maurice was as intent upon his purpose as sprinter three yards from the finish line.
2. In the second form, the literal term is named and the figurative term is implied.
e.g. Jack's strength exploded.
3. In the third form, the literal term is not named, but the figurative term is.
e.g. Gene's relentless quest continued
4. In the fourth term, both the literal term and the figurative term are implied.
e.g. She drives forth, denying herself any weakness.
Remember, too, that similes are stated comparisons of two unlike elements using either as....as or like.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes