What social trends will impact the criminal justice system over the next ten years?
1 Answer | Add Yours
Of course, we can only speculate, but it appears that these factors are starting to affect the criminal justice system:
- Electronic surveillance: While photographic evidence is waning in importance due to photoshopping, video surveillance is becoming almost irrefutable in court. The violence, in rape or assault cases, caught on tape makes the punishments harsher, also;
- The re-examination of the phrase “cruel and unusual punishment” is causing judges to look for alternates to incarceration;
- The high cost and overcrowding of prisons is forcing parole and early release rates to rise;
- Increasing pressure to legalize soft drugs will in the next ten years change the view toward decriminalization of some possessions;
- Privatization of prisons will have undergone a shakedown in the next ten years;
- Changes in social views of race will have an impact on ratios of prisoner profiles;
- In ten years, the advantages and problems of social networking will see changes in imprisonment;
- Internet crime will become both more sophisticated and easier to detect, with jurisdiction problems arising.
These are just a few of the changes coming in the next ten years.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes