3 Answers | Add Yours
This is a great question. Let me name the pros and then the cons.
The main pros are:
- Apes are close to humans. For this reason, to test on them, people can get a better sense of what would happen to humans.
- It is not legal to test various product on humans and so animal testing is the best option. These can lead to medical breakthroughs.
The cons are:
- Animal cruelty is a real issue. Therefore, there is an ethical consideration. From a moral point of view, much of the testing that takes places on animals is not ethically sound.
- Apes, as close as they are to humans, are not humans. So, even though testing takes place, there cannot be 100% certainty.
- Finally, we need to protect apes, because they are growing extinct. So, to test on them would be a huge mistake.
Some experiments on animals are vital to our health. We would no longer be able to do things like testing vaccines on animals or using animals to determine whether new chemicals are carcinogenic. In these ways, not being able to test on animals could seriously reduce our quality of life.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the information.
We’ve answered 333,740 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question