Better Students Ask More Questions.
What are the pros and cons to animal testing especially apes?
3 Answers | add yours
- Apes are close to humans. For this reason, to test on them, people can get a better sense of what would happen to humans.
- It is not legal to test various product on humans and so animal testing is the best option. These can lead to medical breakthroughs.
- Animal cruelty is a real issue. Therefore, there is an ethical consideration. From a moral point of view, much of the testing that takes places on animals is not ethically sound.
- Apes, as close as they are to humans, are not humans. So, even though testing takes place, there cannot be 100% certainty.
- Finally, we need to protect apes, because they are growing extinct. So, to test on them would be a huge mistake.
This is a great question. Let me name the pros and then the cons.
The main pros are:
The cons are:
Posted by readerofbooks on March 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM (Answer #1)
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the information.
Posted by lita2256 on March 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM (Answer #2)
Quiz Taker, Honors
Some experiments on animals are vital to our health. We would no longer be able to do things like testing vaccines on animals or using animals to determine whether new chemicals are carcinogenic. In these ways, not being able to test on animals could seriously reduce our quality of life.
Posted by irislirisl on June 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM (Answer #3)
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.