What are the personality traits of the characters in A Midsummer Nights Dream by William Shakespeare?
The Characters are Theseus, Egeus, Lysander, Demetrius, Hippolyta, Hermia, Helena, Philostrate, Oberon, Titania, Puck, Faries, Nick Bottom, Peter Quince, Francis Flute, Tom Snout, Snug, Robin Starveling.
2 Answers | Add Yours
- Theseus is the duke of Athens and hero of classical Greek mythology. He is head strong, by the rules, level-headed and compassionate to a level.
- Hippolyta is the former queen of the Amazons and is engaged to be married to Thesesus. She really isn't individualized to any extent in the play.
- Egeus is Hermia's father and he is controlling, stubborn, demanding, and possessive.
- Lysander is an Athenian youth in love Hermia, he persuades Hermia to elope with him against her father's wishes.
- Hermia is the daughter of Egeus, she defies her father's wishes and elopes with Lysander rather than marry Demetrius.
- Demetrius is the Athenian youth who, at the beginning of the play loved Hermia but later ends up with Helena.
- Helena is an Athenian maiden who loves Demetrius, she is obsessive, and self-pitying.
- Nick Bottom is the most comical and fully characterized of the laborers, he is confident, sincere, determined, and not very sensible.
- Titania is the queen of the fairies and married to Oberon, she is spirited and strong.
- Oberon is the king of the fairies, he is vengeful and jealous.
- Puck is the mischievous fairy sprite who serves as Oberon's jester and is the chief executor of his orders.
Hermia is betrothed to be married to a man she does not want. The only choice she has is marry him or go to a nunnery. She has low self esteem because she is reminded of her darkness and she believes her true love has fallen out of love with her because of her short stature.
Helena makes a fool of herself by chasing after her love obsession. For her love is blind and she only knows one way to feel. She breaks the rules of her sex by pursuing the one she loves which was against the rules for females.
Bottom is courageous and merry. He is outgoing and friendly. Bottom has a lot of misplaced confidence since he can be quite foolish.
Puck is a supernatural creature. He circles the world looking for unsuspecting mortals. He is devilish and likes to play tricks. He is the mischievous end of the fairy world.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes