5 Answers | Add Yours
The human skull or cranium protects the brain. It serves a noble function. The skull is composed of many bones.
1. frontal bone- the frontal bone is your forehead.
2. temporal bones-form the sides and base of the skull.
3. sphenoid-forms part of the base and sides of the orbits. (eyesocket).
4. ethmoid- helps form the floor,posterior nose, and the orbit.
5. 2 nasal bones, 2 zygomatic bones,two maxillery bones, 2 palatine bones, 2 lacrimal bones, the vomer bone, mandible, and TMJ joint.
The zygomatics are the cheekbones, the lacrimal bones house the tear ducts, the upper jaw is the maxilla, the lower jaw is the mandible, the vomer helps form your nasal septum.
The skull is comprised of two main parts: the cranium and the mandible. The main purpose of the skull is to protect the brain from injury. A normal adult has 22 bones that make up the skull. The bones are fused together by sutures (except for the mandible). There are 8 bones which make up the neurocranium and 14 bones that make up the splanchnocranium.
The purpose of the neurocranium is to support and protect the brain. It bones consist of one frontal, two parietals, one ocipital, one sphenoid, two temporals, and one ethmoid.The splanchnocranium consists of bones that support the face.
The skull is made up of multiple cranial bones.
- Frontal- this part of the skull forms the brow, forhead, and nasal cavity.
- Parietal- these bones are located on opposite sides of the skull. On is on the left and a one is on the right side of the skull.
- Temporal-these bones also occur on both sides of the brain. It has a left and right section.
- Occipital-this bone is on the lower back side of the brain.
- Sphenoid-this part of the skull forms the floor of the cranium and part of the eye orbit.
- Ethmoid-this bone forms the medial parts of the orbits and the roof of the nasal cavity.
There are joints between the bones called sutures. The parietal bones are joined by the sagittal suture. Where the frontal bone meets the parietal bones the suture is called the coronal suture.The parietal and occipital bones meet at the lambdoidal suture. The suture between the parietal and temporal bones is called the squamos suture.
Skull is the skeleton or the bony frame of the head of human beings and other animals with backbones. It is a case made up of bones that enclose the brain called cranium, and bones that form the face. The skull of adult humans has 22 bones.
The cranium is made up of eight bones. These include occipital, at the back of the skull; the sphenoid, at the base of the skull; two parietal bones, at the top and sides; two temporal bones, above the ears; the frontal, at the forehead; and the ethmoid, at the nose. Remaining 14 bones of the skull, called facial bones, form the face and the jaw. These include nasal bone, lacrimal bone, maxilla, vomer, zygomatic bone, palatine bone, and mandible. Except for the mandible all the skull bones of an adult form a rigid, united structure.
There are 206 bones in our body out of which only our skull comprises of 22 bones.
The two major parts of skull are as follows:-
- Cranium ( largest part enclosing eyes, nose, brain and ear)
- Mandible ( jaw bone)
Cranium includes 8 bones which are:-
- Frontal bone
- Parietal bones (2)
- Occipital bone
- Sphenoid bone
- Temporal bone (2)
- Ethmoid bone
Facial bones consist of following:-
- Nasal bone
- Inferior nasal conchae
- Lacrumal bone
- Palatine bonebone
- Zygomatic bone
- Vomer bone
- MMaxilla bone
- Mandible bone
We’ve answered 331,083 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question