Homework Help

What is the most common component of urine?I want to know the meaning of component...

user profile pic

sandali | Student, Grade 11 | (Level 1) Salutatorian

Posted December 7, 2009 at 2:01 PM via web

dislike 2 like

What is the most common component of urine?

I want to know the meaning of component too... (if possible please include this in your answer)..

4 Answers | Add Yours

user profile pic

pohnpei397 | College Teacher | (Level 3) Distinguished Educator

Posted December 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM (Answer #1)

dislike 1 like

The word "component" means something that makes up part of something else.  So we use the term for computers -- a DVD drive is a component of a computer, for example.  So the components of urine are the things that are put together to make up urine.

As far as urine goes, by far the most common component is water.  Water makes up 95% of the volume of urine.

Other than that, urine is made up of various chemicals.  The most common of these is urea.  Others include creatinine and uric acid.

user profile pic

krishna-agrawala | College Teacher | (Level 3) Valedictorian

Posted December 7, 2009 at 2:29 PM (Answer #2)

dislike 1 like

The word component refers to a constituent part of something. the constituent part can refers to separate pieces that are assembled together to form the whole, like the refill, barrel and cap of a ball point pen. Alternatively, component could refer to different materials or ingredients that are mixed together to make a mixture.

The main component of urine is water. In addition it has chemical compounds like urea, creatinine, uric acid and salts of sodium, potassium, calcium. ammonia and magnesium dissolved in it.

user profile pic

versatilekamini | College Teacher | (Level 1) Valedictorian

Posted December 7, 2009 at 7:44 PM (Answer #3)

dislike 0 like

The most common components of the urine is water.Approxmately 95% of the volume of normal urine is due to water. The other 5% consists of solutes. Some of these solutes are the results of normal biochemical activity in the cells of the body.Solutes found in urine may be classified as ions or organic molecules. The biochemicals found in urine are predominately the end products of the nitrogen metabolism process.These include urea,uric acid and creatinine.

Other components of urine include sodium chloride and 100% other substances that are usually present.

user profile pic

mkcapen1 | Middle School Teacher | (Level 3) Valedictorian

Posted December 8, 2009 at 2:26 AM (Answer #4)

dislike 0 like

Urine is composed of 95% water.  This may fluctuate depending on the person’s intake of fluids.  The other percent consists of chemicals that breakdown in water.  The solutes found in urine are ions.  Chemicals in urine occur as the end products of the nitrogen metabolism process.  This results in the chemicals of uric acid, creatinine urea, and sodium chloride (salt).  Minute traces of carbohydrates, enzymes, fatty acids, hormones, pigments and mucins (protein) are also found in urine.  Urine is a good way to measure if problems are evident in the system by assessing what chemicals it includes.

Join to answer this question

Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.

Join eNotes