Better Students Ask More Questions.
What is Islam?
1 Answer | add yours
- Belief in Allah, as the one and only true God.
- Prayer (Salah) 5 times a day, while facing towards Mecca.
- Giving of Charity (Zakat) 2.5% of earning.
- Fasting (fasting sunrise to sunset) on the 9th month of the Islamic year. This is called Ramadan.
- Pilgrimage (Haj) to Mecca a least once in a person's lifetime.
Islam is one of the major religions of the world. The word comes from an Arabic word that means "peace" and "submission." In connection to the latter, Islam teaches that a person can only find peace by submitting to Allah (their name for God). A fundamental statement in Islam is: "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet." And the typical greeting is: "salaam alaykum," which means "Peace be with you."
To get a better understanding of Islam, it is important to note that Islam has five pillars. They are as follows:
Finally, it should be noted that Islam is a growing religion. Interestingly the largest Muslim country is Indonesia.
Posted by readerofbooks on February 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM (Answer #1)
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.