What is Islam?
1 Answer | Add Yours
Islam is one of the major religions of the world. The word comes from an Arabic word that means "peace" and "submission." In connection to the latter, Islam teaches that a person can only find peace by submitting to Allah (their name for God). A fundamental statement in Islam is: "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet." And the typical greeting is: "salaam alaykum," which means "Peace be with you."
To get a better understanding of Islam, it is important to note that Islam has five pillars. They are as follows:
- Belief in Allah, as the one and only true God.
- Prayer (Salah) 5 times a day, while facing towards Mecca.
- Giving of Charity (Zakat) 2.5% of earning.
- Fasting (fasting sunrise to sunset) on the 9th month of the Islamic year. This is called Ramadan.
- Pilgrimage (Haj) to Mecca a least once in a person's lifetime.
Finally, it should be noted that Islam is a growing religion. Interestingly the largest Muslim country is Indonesia.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes