What are the important topics and questions in Gulliver's travel?
i want to know all the important questions in gulliver's travel..
2 Answers | Add Yours
The important possibilities as far as questions about Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels are as follows
1. Can Gulliver's Travels be called a novel or an anticipation of the novelistic genre? If so, how?
2. Discuss the point of view in the text. Do you think Swift uses Gulliver as an authorial mouthpiece or there is a critical distance that marks their relationship?
3. Discuss the connectivity among the different books of Gulliver's Travels.
4. Is Gulliver's Travels a satirical work? What kind of a satire is it? How does the satire proceed from one book to another? What are the targets of the process of satirization?
5. What is the position of the satirist in Gulliver's Travels? Is he inside or outside the social frame that is satirized in the work?
6. Discuss the character of Gulliver. Do you see an ironic trace of the epic-hero in him?
7. Discuss Swift's notorious anti-humanism in the context of Gulliver's Travels.
8. Can Gulliver's Travels be read as a reflection of the period of its composition?
It helps the reader of Gulliver's Travels to know the various types of government that existed in the world of Swift's time; and some of the philosophical discussions for changes to existing governments or proposals for new types of government, I think, as I recall.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes