What are the good things Julius Caesar did as emperor?
I am doing a debate on Julius Caesar and his execution, and I have to defend him and the good things he did as emperor, and I have to defend his personal doings as conquerer and how that helped him and made him famous.
3 Answers | Add Yours
The accomplishments of Gaius Julius Caesar (100 BC-44 BC) include:
- The conquests of Gaul and Britain made the Roman Republic the most powerful in the world.
- Caesar's allegiance with Cleopatra and Egypt that further extended the power of Rome.
- An official census
- Financial rewards to families with many children in order to repopulate the republic.
- Instituting term limits for governors.
- Laws that restructured debts.
- Regulation of state-subsidized grain
- Land distribution for veterans
- Calendar reform that created the Julian Calendar.
- Establishment of a police force.
- Land reforms.
- The rebuilding of Carthage and Corinth.
- Tax reforms.
He was one of the first Roman politicians to realize that the Roman Republic was on the verge of collapse, since the nobles owned almost all of the land and slaves did all of the work, leaving the poorer Roman citizens jobless. He made several laws that redistributed land and jobs from the nobles.
He developed the Julian calendar. This calendar was almost exactly the same as the one we use now, except that instead of starting from the founding of Rome, we start our calendar from the birth of Jesus. The names of the months still remain (especially July which is named after him).
He was so popular that his fame allowed Augustus Caesar to become emperor. In future empires, his name was also used as a title for Emperors:
Caesar (Byzantine Emperor)
Tsar (Russian Emperor)
Kaiser (German Emperor)
Well one Thing he did was give money to the poor people that needed his help.
We’ve answered 328,265 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question