4 Answers | Add Yours
Frontal Lobes are located anterior to cerebral cortex and their functions are:
-reasoning and judgement(capability to choose between right or wrong) and planning (executive functions)
-long time memory
-control of impulses
It is known that the right frontal lobe is responsible for non-verbal abilities, while left frontal lobe is responsible with the verbal ones.
There are several testing methods for frontal libes functions, known as:Wisconsin Card Sorting (response inhibition); Finger Tapping (motor skills); Token Test (language skills).
Frontal lobe is a part of brain of humans and other mammals. Brain is composed of three main parts called cerebrum, cerebellum and brain stem. The biggest of these three accounting for 85% of brain is cerebrum. The Cerebrum is again divided in two parts called left hemisphere and right hemisphere. Each of these hemispheres is divided in four parts called lobes, which are named according to the name of the skull bone covering it. The frontal lobe is located at the front part. It lies above the temporal lobe and in front of the parietal lobe. The parietal lobe itself lies in middle between frontal and temporal lobes. The fourth lobe, occipital lobe is in the rear below parietal lobe and above temporal lobe.
The frontal lobe is associated with high mental functions.Main functions and capabilities of frontal lobe include the following.
- Determine similarities and difference between things
- Recognizing future consequences of current actions.
- To evaluate and choose between alternate actions.
- Override and suppress unacceptable social responses.
- Long term memory which is not task-oriented
- Emotional control
There are some studies that indicate that left lobe controls language related movements while right lobe controls non-verbal abilities.
Frontal Lobe is the most anterior lobe of the brain.
• posterior boundary is the fissure of Rolando, or central sulcus,
which separates it from the parietal lobe
• Inferiorly, it is divided from the temporal lobe by the fissure of
Sylvius which is also called the lateral fissure.
• This lobe deals with higher level cognitive functions like reasoning
• The frontal lobe contains several cortical areas involved in the
control of voluntary muscle movement, including those necessary
for the production of speech and swallowing.
Long term memory
Motor skills (movement)
We’ve answered 288,557 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question