Better Students Ask More Questions.
What are five important events that happened in the book "The Outsiders?"
4 Answers | add yours
High School Teacher
In the novel "The Outsiders," one important event is the Socs jump Ponyboy on his way home from the movies. This sets up more friction between the Greasers and the Socs. Another important event is Ponyboy and Johnny sitting with Cherry and Marcia at the Drive-In which leads to the boys walking the girls to Two-Bit's car. They have another confrontation with the Socs. This leads to a later event where the Socs attack Ponyboy in the park and Johnny kills Bob with a knife.
Ponyboy and Johnny run away to Jay mountain and by hiding out there eventually end up saving some small children from a fire. This results in Johnny being badly burned and his back being broken. The Greasers and Socs have a rumble, Johnny dies, Dally robs a store and gets gunned down in the street by cops.
Hope this helps. The links below will give more specific information about each event.
Posted by ladyvols1 on July 26, 2009 at 1:01 PM (Answer #1)
1. When he is attacked by socs at the start of the book
2. When Ponyboy meets the Soc girls
3. When Ponyboy runs away and Jonny kills Bob
4. When the church is on fire and Jonny and Ponyboy try to save the kids in the building
5.The ending of the book which is the fight between the socs and the greasers
Posted by suikoden12 on October 16, 2011 at 7:47 AM (Answer #2)
what about the chat between randy and ponyboy in the car? it helped ponyboy understand more about the socs (:
Posted by benedictlimhau96 on April 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM (Answer #3)
Elementary School Teacher
1. The first major event is when Ponyboy kills Steve in the park after the Socs' try to drown him.
2. The next major event is when Johnny and Pony run away to the old church to hide from the law and getting arrested for the murder in the park.
3. Another big event in the story is when the old church catches on fire from a lit cigarette butt left accidentally by Johnny. Ponyboy and Johnny become heroes when they run into the church to save the school children who were inside.
4. Next, Johnny is badly burned, rushed to the hospital, where he later dies from his burn injuries.
5. The last major event is the Rumble that takes place between the Socs' and the Greasers, which the Greasers win.
While there are many events going on throughout the story, these five stand out as the most significant to the plot. Each event taught the boys something important about life.
Posted by jhadden on January 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM (Answer #4)
1 Reply | Hide Replies ▲
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.