Better Students Ask More Questions.
What does Swift see as an alternative to his plan?
1 Answer | add yours
- Tax people who live outside Ireland but own land there.
- Don't use or buy anything that is not produced in Ireland itself.
- Reject things that "promote foreign luxury."
- Try to teach women to stop being proud, vain, and idle.
- Instead, promote thrift among the people.
- Stop fighting among themselves and learn to love their country.
- Have landlords and storeowners and such stop being so greedy.
Towards the end of the essay, Swift acknowledges a few alternatives to his plan but he does not spend much time on them. He thinks they are too ridiculous to try.
Posted by pohnpei397 on January 24, 2010 at 4:17 AM (Answer #1)
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.