Homework Help

What can I do if a friend promised to pay a payment on something I purchased and is no...

user profile pic

sissycmary | eNotes Newbie

Posted September 8, 2008 at 7:52 AM via web

dislike 1 like

What can I do if a friend promised to pay a payment on something I purchased and is no longer paying the payment and refuses to give me the property?

I have a serial number with my name on the bill showing the property was purchased in my name and intrest is rising on it on a month to month basis.

2 Answers | Add Yours

user profile pic

pmiranda2857 | High School Teacher | (Level 1) Educator Emeritus

Posted September 8, 2008 at 8:00 AM (Answer #1)

dislike 0 like

If the value is $1,000 or less you can take the person to Small Claims Court. 

"Whether you are suing or being sued, the key to winning in small claims court is to show up with evidence that supports your side of the story. After all, the judge doesn’t know you or your opponent -- so if you disagree over what happened, the judge may have a hard time deciding whom to believe."

"But, if you bring eyewitnesses, photographs, letters, contracts, and/or other types of evidence to court, you can tip the scales in your favor."


user profile pic

brettd | High School Teacher | (Level 2) Educator Emeritus

Posted June 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM (Answer #2)

dislike 0 like

When you say "a friend promised to pay payment" it does depend whether or not there was a promissory note or other written contract if you want to sue them for that money.  It sounds as though all you are looking for is the return of your property so you can cut your losses, and since you have the bill of sale with your name on it, that's an open and shut case.  Small claims court is the best way to go, and depending on which state you are in, the maximum dollar amount may be higher than $1000 as well..

Join to answer this question

Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.

Join eNotes