10 Answers | Add Yours
The guys on Myth Busters follow this method all the time! The Steps are as follows:
1. Ask a question. What is it you want to know? What do you hope to discover?
2. Do background research. Find out as much as you can about your topic from a variety of sources. Don't trust one source exclusively.
3. Construct of hypothesis. Based on what you've discovered in your research, what preliminary conclusions can you come to?
4. Conduct an experiment to test your hypothesis. Do the results of the experiment concur with what you supposed would happen?
5. Analyze your data and draw a conclusion. Does the experiment support your original hypothesis, or has the theory been "busted".
6. Communicate your results to others.
Watch Myth Busters to see this in action!
Basic steps of Scientific method
1> Ask question
2> Do background research
3> Construct a hypothesis
4> Test your hypothesis by doing a experiment
5> Analyze your data and draw a conclusion
6> communicate your research.
The most basic steps of the scientific method are:
1. Question/Research - Identify a problem, pose a question about it, then find out what other people already know about your problem.
2. Hypothesis - Identify your independent, dependent and controlled variables. Write a testable hypothesis that makes a prediction about the changes you will make to the independent variable and what change will happen to the dependent variable.
3. Experiment - List all of the materials you will need for your experiment. Write a detailed list of procedures to follow to test your hypothesis. Conduct your experiment by following the procedures exactly, and record your results in a data table.
4. Analysis/Conclusion - Re-state your question. Describe your experiment in one sentence. Describe the results of your experiment in one sentence. Re-state your hypothesis. Tell whether your hypothesis was supported or rejected, then support this statement with evidence (data) from your experiment. Explain any unexpected results from your experiment, and any new questions that arise from your experiment.
Scientific method is a process of investigation which help in observing different phenomena. Some say there are three steps in a scientific method, some consider them to be four and some 5, but all incorporate the same principles. These steps are included in a scientific method:
The first step is observation, in which the object in question is observed and the facts about it are listed.
In this step questions about the object are listed down. One can start with what, when, where, who, which.
Over here different possible answers are written down for the questions asked above, and a hypothesis is formed.
Then the hypothesis is tested by conducting an experiment.
5. Accept Hypothesis/Reject Hypothesis
After the experiment is conducted the hypothesis is either accepted or rejected. If rejected the steps are again repeated from number 3.
research, hypothesis, experiment, analysis, conclusion, data
- Ask a question
- Do a background research
- Construct hypothesis
- Test with an experiment
- Analyze results
- Draw conclusion or hypothesis if it's true or not/partially true
- Report results
Research, Hypothesis, experiment, conclusion, data
- formulation of question or hypothesis
- Plan an investigation to test it:
a) test the variables to ensure fair test
b) decide on measurements and observations to be made
c) decide on the steps of the procedure
3) carry out investigation and make careful observations and measurements
4) Ask yourself a question. Do the results of the experiment support the hypothesis. If it does, accept it. If not, suggest a new one and redo the whole experiment again.
5) Finally, get ready your conclusion about the whole experiment.
The headings for each step would be as follows:
We’ve answered 317,699 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question