What are the advantages and disadvantages of computers?
26 Answers | Add Yours
The advantages of computers are quite clear. With computers, you can ask this question and I can answer it. That helps both of us. With computers and the internet, businesses can sell their products to people far from where they are. Computers can be used to help create and test new products.
The disadvantages of computers are harder to see. Somer are environmental. Computers use a great deal of electricity and they can be dangerous when disposed of improperly. Some disadvantges are social -- things like child pornography and stalking are made easier by the internet.
If you find this topic interesting, here's a cool video about quantum computers and the limits of human technology:
The advantages of computers are obvious and have been covered by the previous answers. I would like to discuss the disadvantages.
Computers have put millions of people out of work. For example, they have ravaged the book-selling business. Book stores are closing all across the country because it is so much more convenient to buy books online and so much easier to find the books you want. But in many cases it is possible to read books on the monitor or to print them. Computers have created jobs but not as many as they have displaced. They are only in their infancy, too. More and more shopping is being done online. Even the supermarkets are being affected. It looks as though the cities are going to be transformed in coming years, and many small towns are already being wiped out of existence.
Another disadvantage of personal computers is that they are addictive. Everywhere you go you see people staring into their laptops, and you may wonder, as I do, what they are thinking and what they find so hypnotic.
Given the fact that our world is generated by computers (including enotes), this might represent a large advantage. The presence of computers demands an understanding of it. In understanding it, one possesses a distinct advantage in "cracking the code" of information and processing it. The presentation, organization, and storage of information is another clear advantage of computers. At the same time, the reality of identity theft and electronic frauds represent a poor usage of computers, and this helps to constitute a distinct disadvantage of it. On a more theoretical level, I think that the dependence on computers could help to constitute a disadvantage, as anything that generates dependence can be dangerous.
The advantages of computers are many. One advantage is their time saving nature. It is much quicker to type a letter than to write one with a pen. The connection to the internet is of great use. The ability to research something or ask questions in real time is amazing. The amount of data that can be stored, manipulated, and retrieved is phenominal. Using the computer save natural resources by limiting our need of paper and pencils.
A disadvantage of computers is when they break down. Most people do not know how to fix them and have to take them to be repaired. Our growing dependence on computers is concerning. Everything is run by computer now and when one goes down it impacts many. Another disadvantage of computers is that some children spend too much time on them. Due to this, their social development may be stunted.
Computers are here to stay, whether we like them or not. They are part of the juggernaut of the Industrial Revolution which began in England with textile making. This put many independent weavers out of jobs. I think the most important thing to recognize about computers and the other innovations that go with it is that it keeps changing the job market. It has been said that a person should expect to change jobs several times during his or her life. The only way for an intelligent person to cope with this frightening reality is to keep preparing for new developments. And the best way to do this is through "continuing education." You have to foresee what is going to happen in your particular field of interest and source of income and be prepared to adapt to the new conditions. The best way to do this is through education in school, because the teachers know what is coming better than almost anybody else. There are plenty of good jobs for people who are prepared to fill them. But people who just want to feel comfortable in their present jobs and spend their free time watching television or playing video games--or whatever they do to waste precious time--may be in for a rude shock if and when their job is eliminated, or taken over by some guy with a funny accent in Calcutta--or by a robot!
Advantages of computers:
- Increases speed of computing and processing information in any other way.
- People can use sophisticated statistical and mathematical tools for decision making and further purposes without learning in details the algorithms used for computing. This way people can use much more sophisticated analytical tools that would have been possible with only manual information processing.
- Computers can store large volumes of information without occupying too much space, as is in the case of information stored in form of books and paper documents.
- Computer processing eliminates the human errors of computing and information processing.
- Information once entered in computer system can be easily accessed by the same person or other persons at different times for different persons. This reduces the work load of capturing same information multiple times for different purposes. It also makes it possible for different person to work with same information, avoiding the possibility of different persons using different versions of the same information.
- The work of entering and editing information is made mush more easy and simple by software that offer many powerful user friendly features for performing these tasks.
- Computer now offer sophisticated and powerful software for representing information in rich formats with visual and video facilities.
- Computers combined with communication technology offer very fast speed and rich communication facility at low cost.
- Computers, with all these features are now used for automating all kinds of equipments and processes.
Disadvantage of Computers
- The cost of computer and associated equipments is falling steadily. Still these equipments are and continue to be much more costly as compared to manual processing equipments like pen and pencil. Also technological complexity of these equipment makes it more difficult to learn and maintain these equipments as compared to equipments of manual information processing.
- Use of computers require additional infrastructure, such as power supply and software back up. This increases the chances of problems due to failure of infrastructure. For example, a computer will not work where there is no electric power supply. Even a laptop with a battery will work without power supply only for a limited period.
- Failures of computer system can be more serious and difficult to correct. For example, one scratch on a hard disk can make the complete data on the disk inaccessible. In comparison, manual system faults have comparatively limited impact. One page torn from a cabinet full of documents has no impact on other documents.
- Computers generally reduces the errors of processing. However if there is an error in input data, it can result in major blunders in the processing which the computer system is unable to detect. In manual systems the chances of such blunders passing undetected and corrected is much less.
The advantages of computers is we can access information ten times faster then we even could back in the days. Beforehand others have to sift through the books looking and trying to find the information yet today we can type it into Google and find the answer in a second. The disadvantage is that too many people use computers too often and even young kids start off with a computer which leads to too much time on the internet that can damage eyes. And although we can get answers within a second, we cannot retain it.
Advantages of computers are that you can get information and help online.
Disadvantage of computers are that it can use up a lot of your time and electricity.
Pros: faster communication, Greater accessibility, freater range of informatiom to be accessed, generally it is covered under these big groups. Information tracking is also much easier
Cons: addiction to games, Greater access to drugs, explicit materials
The advantage of computers is that they allow information to be easily accessed and stored, whereas the disadvantage of computers is what people can choose to do with this information. also another disadvantage is that computers and modern technology turn addicting for some people and eventually the face to face conversations, and contact with the outer world lessens. Another advantage may be that it introduces to us a world of infinite possibilities, computers encourage us to imagine new things, teach us new ways etc..
There are so many advantages of computer .It has made our work easier and connected with the world.So,we dont find any disadvantage except following the negative deeds.
Computers are changing the face of the world. the ability to gain access to information regardless of where one is , has got to be one of the biggest advantages. We can learn so much more infomation in a quicker period of time
However computers also help take away some of the ingenuities of man. People can easily use a computer to figure out a math problem, find an essay or learn how to build a bomb. Nothing is original anymore , nothing is safe.
The advantages to computers are the following:
1. Communicate globally
2. Communicate quickly
3. The use of different programs available for education, entertainment, business
4. Creating and storing documents
The disadvantages to computers are the following:
1. Parental controls need to be set for children or they may encounter material they are not ready to filter
2. They take away from time spent outside exercising
3. When they don't work, many companies cannot function
4. They break
Advantages are : communication is improved, pay bill's online, people have access to things they would not have had before (for instance old people who cannot leave the house they can buy groceries online) Computers make life easier.
The disadvantges are: scams, fraud, people not going out as much, we do not yet know the effects of computers and pregnancy or the emissions that computers make,. bad posture from sitting too long at a desk, repetitive strain injuries and the fact that most organisations expect everyone to own a computer.
every invention is advantageous to our way of life. the human mind is such it always works adversely. the planet is suffering a lot due to sadist minds..nothing is wrong with any invention..
We’ve answered 315,731 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question