What are the advantages of Data Dictionary as applied in computer system analysis and design?
2 Answers | Add Yours
There are a number of advantages of using Data Dictionary in computer system analysis and design. The advantages are: consistency, clarity; reusability; completeness; increase in sharing and integration; and ease of use for the developer. To elaborate on one important advantage, completeness, using Data Dictionary for the advantage of completeness helps the data programmer to know when data is clear, complete, and well defined. It does so by informing as to what completeness is defined as in any instance in question and by detailing the steps that are necessary to take to achieve completeness.
[For more detail about Data dictionary, see Data Dictionary and Normalization by Priya Janakiraman; Techno Wave Inc.]
The advantages of using a data dictionary are:
- It is a valuable reference in any organization because it provides documentation.
- It improves the communication between system analyst and user by establishing consistent definitions of various items terms and procedures.
- It is a good tool for manage operators and other members of the development team to understand requirements and design.
- It helps the analyst to simplify the structure for meeting the data requirements of the system.
- It is just like a store of all data elements information that can link all phases of software development life cycle.
- It is used to remove the redundancy in data definition.
- It is an important step building a database. Most data base management system has a data dictionary as a standard feature.
- During implementation, it serves as a base against which developers compare their data description. Hope it helps!
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes