- Download PDF
What are the advantages of a computer?
5 Answers | Add Yours
One of the overwhelming advantages of the computer lies in its very necessity. Computer technology and use is of critical importance. Its ability for communication and storing data would represent another advantage. If connected to the internet, its ability to obtain resources would be another attribute. Along with data collection, the computer features different methods and manners to present this data, which makes it advantageous to the user. The disadvantages are going to be difficult to articulate because computers have become such a mainstay in our existence. I think that one disadvantage would be our dependence on them. Computers are now needed for so much, we have a natural dependence on them. This proves to be disastrous when individuals have their computers lost or stolen, or when identity theft, a concoction of computers, happens to individuals.
Computers are used today to store, retrieve, process, and transmit data and information of all types. Though the computer is essentially a device to store retrieve and process data, many other devices such as printers, music systems, video systems, games, communication devices, automatic data capture devices, and control devise are now used in combination with computers, that use the basic data input, output and processing capabilities of computer to produce highly innovative and systems with application in practically every aspects of human activities today.
The major advantage of using computers in this way are given below.
- Computers makes it possible to receive, supply and process large volumes of data at very high speed.
- Computer reduces the cost of all data related operations including, input, output, storage, processing, and transmission.
- Computer greatly improves the speed of data input, output, processing, and transmission.
- Computer ensures consistent and error free processing of data. However it should be noted the error free processing is subject to correct feeding of data and correct programming.
- Digitization of all kinds of information including sounds and images, combined with massive information processing capabilities of the computer has resulted in development of application to produce physical products of very high quality at great speed and very economically. We are all aware of the improvement in audio and video systems including computer games using modern computer technology. However computers are also playing a big role in manufacturing of many other physical products. For example, a computerized insta-paint system, scans the colour of any surface and produces a paint of exactly matching colour and shade.
- The data input, output, and processing speed of computers has enabled development of many applications requiring speedy continuous monitoring of a process or situation and responding to it very quickly in real time. For example, a small microcomputer in a car may continuously monitor the speed. load and other condition of the car and accordingly control the fuel and air mixture to maximize the fuel efficiency. In an entirely different kind of application, a computer may control the movement of a missile launched to intercept a another missile fired by the enemy.
Two major disadvantages of computers include:
- Computer is highly dependent on the quality of input data fed to it. Though computers are very fast in tasks that are pre-programmed, it lake the ability of human brain to detect and correct errors that it is not specifically programmed to do.
- The task of programming a computer for a computer application is very costly and time consuming. This reduces the utility of computers for applications that are non-repetitive.
- Computer systems are rather rigid. Once a computers system is designed and programmed,making even minor corrections or improvements can be quite costly and time consuming. For this reason a great care is required in design and development of computer systems.
- Computers require use of sophisticated equipment and support facilities. For example, a person solving a problem of maths using just a pen and paper can carry these with him or her anywhere with ease. However if the same problem is to be solved using a computer, the person will not only need access to a suitable computer, it will also be necessary to have the required software and suitable electric power to run the computer.
Computer has several advantages given as follows:
1.It is the fastest medium of communication rendering postal and telegraphic communication almost worthless.
2.Through computer your message or any thing written or photograph can reach any part of the world using internet facilities.
3.You can download any ammount of material through computer.
4.All your arithmetical problems can be easily sorted out through computer,
5.Through video conferencing you can not only see each other but also talk with any body living in any part of the world.
Great question! This topic is become extremely relevant in this day and age. A good majority of everyday life is spent on computers or some form of technology. Of course, seeing this, many people are quick to say the disadvantages. But, what are the advantages? Obviously there must be some otherwise we couldn't use them all the time! Here are my top three:
- The make shopping and other tasks easy and fast
- They allow for easy access to hundreds upon thousands of websites that provide information for anything and everything
- You can communicate with anyone in the entire world at any given time of day with the click of a button
Hope this helps!
There are many advantages because it can be used as a great tool for studying. Many kids can use the computer in order to gain more in depth understanding of something but it can also be used in order to be distracted. The computer is a great tool because this leads to productivity and sharing ideas among groups. Beside school, this can be expanded to social life. The computer lets you see shows from weeks past at one touch, you can also connect with your friends and family with computers and this can lead to greater connection.
We’ve answered 327,499 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question