1 Answer | Add Yours
What are some tips for writing an Ode poem?
An ode poem is a poem that is about one specific thing that you think is truly wonderful and praiseworthy. This type of poem can be centered upon an object, an idea, or even a person. The trick to writing an ode poem is to write using the same structure throughout, while using different words to communicate the one thing or person you are writing about. Here are some tips to help you if you are interested in writing a truly nice ode poem:
- Think of an object, person, or idea that you are deeply connected to, and this will be the topic of your ode poem. It should be something that makes you emotional in a positive or negative way. An ode poem can only be focused on one thing, so make sure that, whatever you pick, it is something that you feel strongly about, so you have enough to write.
- Think about the way you would react if someone were to bring up the "something" you have chosen to write about. Write down what you would say in such a situation. Think of specific adjectives to describe how you feel about the topic of your ode. Throughout the poem, you will have to use many words that have the same definition or meaning, so you might want to check out a thesaurus if you get stuck with this part.
- How long do you want your poem to be? Odes are traditionally long poems, because chances are, if you’ve picked a topic you really feel passionately about, you will have a lot to write. Split up your poem into groups, or stanzas, of ten lines. Most odes have three of these stanzas, but if you want to write more, by all means do!
- Think about whether or not you want your poem to rhyme? It’s up to you how you want to format the rhyme scheme of this poem. You can make every two lines rhyme, every other line rhyme (most odes do this), or make up your own pattern. Just make sure that whatever pattern you choose, you use the same one for the whole poem.
- If you have written this ode about someone you know, make sure to read it to them or even give them a copy as a gift so they know just how great you think they are. This will always make this person feel special.
Happy writing to you!
We’ve answered 317,736 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question