Better Students Ask More Questions.
Throughout this whole text, name 10 things Holden hates. Please provide page numbers as...
1 Answer | add yours
High School Teacher
J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye follows the main character, Holden, on a weekend of unadulterated partying. Holden is a partial participant in life, but mostly an opinionated observer who writes down everything that he hates and likes about people or life. As far as what Holden hates, it's usually people who he thinks are not behaving down-to-earth. He calls people phonies who either think highly of themselves or who are social climbers--anyone who seeks their own glory rather than caring about those around them, basically. He also dislikes those who are unclean, when people annoy him, and things he doesn't quite understand.
Here's a list of a few things that Holden hates:
1. Slobs. Stradlater was a "secret slob"(27).
2. Pimple-popping people. Ackley was always "squeezing this big pimple on his chin. He didn't even use a handkerchief"(35).
3. Stradlater. "I didn't even answer him. God, how I hated him"(42).
4. Ackley's room. "I hardly ever went over to his room. It had a funny stink in it, because he was so crumby in his personal habits"(46).
5. Being lonely. "I just didn't want to hang around anymore. It made me too sad and lonesome"(51).
6. Ernest Morrow. ". . .I wouldn't visit that sonuvabitch Morrow for all the dough in the world"(58).
7. People who show off. "I hate a guy that does a lot of show-off tricky stuff on the dance floor"(71).
8. Being asked his age. "That annoyed me, for some reason"(72).
9. Feeling out of control with women and stupid women. "Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them!"(73).
10. Too much attention. ". . .if I were a piano player or an actor and all those dopes thought I was terrific, I'd hate it"(84).
Posted by tinicraw on April 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM (Answer #1)
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.