Homework Help

Should a state be allowed to remove itself from the United States? Why or why not?

user profile pic

csh | eNotes Newbie

Posted May 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM via web

dislike 2 like

Should a state be allowed to remove itself from the United States? Why or why not?

1 Answer | Add Yours

user profile pic

pohnpei397 | College Teacher | (Level 3) Distinguished Educator

Posted May 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM (Answer #1)

dislike 1 like

I do not think that a state should be able to remove itself from the United States.  In some ways, it does seem like states should have the right to remove themselves, but there are two major problems with this that make me think it is a bad idea.

First of all,   it does not seem like it would be right for 51% of the people in a state (for example) to be able to force the other 49% to leave the country to which they have always belonged.  It does not make sense to say that, in the name of self-determination for the majority, we take away the right of the minority to remain part of the country.

Second, it would be very difficult to allow any state to leave the Union in a way that is fair and equitable.  There would be too many issues that would arise.  What would happen to the Social Security and Medicare payments that all of the people in the state had made?  How would the federal government go about getting back things like the costs of programs that they had run that helped that state?  What would happen if that state had a military base in it? 

All of these kinds of issues make it a bad idea to allow any state to leave the Union.

Join to answer this question

Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.

Join eNotes