In the order of Gatsby's life (not the order in the book, his life), what are ten major parts of Gatsby's life?
I am having trouble piecing together Gatsby's life since the book jumps back and forth between his true life story and the stories we hear from other characters.
1 Answer | Add Yours
Here it is as briefly as I can pose it.
1) His life with his parents is the first part. He doesn't want to be like them, so he makes a book to improve himself (like Benjamin Franklin's) and follows it daily. His father shows this book, with great pride, to Nick at the end of the novel.
2) He met and worked for Dan Cody and learned about wealth and greed.
3) He went into the military and won medals in Montenegro.
4) He met Daisy and fell in love with her.
5) He was sent back to the military and ended up at Oxford for a period of time.
6) He returned looking for Daisy, but she was gone.
7) He went into business for himself (bootlegging) and made loads of money.
8) He followed Daisy's life in the tabloids and bought a home across the bay from her.
9) He was reunited with Daisy and had an affair with her, intending to sweep her away.
10) He dies for his devotion to Daisy.
We’ve answered 317,955 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question