i need write an essay on the knights tale i need to discuss the setting, plot and theme. it has to be 2 pages.
1 Answer | Add Yours
To write that essay, think of a setting i.e. the time and location that the tale is supposed to be. Consider the following:
- Place, the Geographical location, maybe in a battle field, in palace etc.
- Time when it will take place (historical period, time of day, year, etc.
- Weather conditions - Is it rainy, sunny, stormy, etc.
- Social conditions - What is the daily life of the characters like? Does the story contain local
- Colour (writing that focuses on the speech, dress, mannerisms, customs, etc. of a particular place)?
- Mood or atmosphere - What feeling is created at the beginning of the story? Is it bright and cheerful or dark and frightening?
The five elements of the plot:
Introduction - characters and the setting is revealed.
Rising Action - story become complicated and the conflict in the story is revealed.
Climax - This is the highest point of interest and the turning point of the story. Suspense is introduced.
Falling action - The events begin to resolve themselves. This is the final outcome of events in the story.
Conflict can be:
External - A struggle with a force outside one's self.
Internal - A struggle within one's self; a person must make some decision, overcome pain, quiet their temper, resist an urge, etc.
There are four kinds of conflict:
Man vs. Man (physical) - The leading character struggles with his physical strength against other men, forces of nature, or animals.
Man vs. Circumstances (classical) - The leading character struggles against fate, or the circumstances of life facing him/her.
Man vs. Society (social) - The leading character struggles against ideas, practices, or customs of other people.
Man vs. Himself Herself (psychological) - The leading character struggles with himself/herself; with his/her own soul, ideas of right or wrong, physical limitations, choices, etc.
THEME – This is the controlling idea or its central insight. It is the intended meaning of a piece of work e.g. Love is blind
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes