Math Grade 11, Sinusoidal functions
Please state the period, amplitude, max/min values, range, domain, horizontal phase shift, and vertical displacement, of each of the above functions. please answer clearly and distinct the answer for each one, clearly. thanks.
2 Answers | Add Yours
The general form of a sinusoid is:
A: A is the amplitude. If A<0 the base function is reflected over the horizontal axis. (A is a vertical stretch/compression.)
B: B affects the period (it is a horizontal stretch/compression.) The period is `p=(2pi)/B` . If B<0 the base function is reflected over the y-axis.
h: h is a horizontal translation (phase shift.)
k: k is a vertical translation. It provides the midline for the sinusoid.
Rewrite as `y=-3cos(2(x-15^@))+1`
The base function is the cosine function.
(1)The midline (vertical displacement is up 1) is y=1.
(2) The amplitude is 3
(3) The maximum value is 4 (3 units above the midline) while the minimum value is -2.
(4) The domain is all real numbers; the range is `-2<=y<-4`
(5) The horizontal phase shift is 15 units right. (`pi/12` units right)
(6) The function is reflected across the line y=1.
(7) The period is `p=(2pi)/2=pi` units.
(Horizontal axis is in radians instead of degrees.)
Sorry the functions did not get posted in the question, so here they are :
a) y= -3cos (2x- 30degrees) +1
b) y= 2cos ( -1/2x + 90degrees ) -3
c) y= -2sin [ 2 x (t+1) / 3 ]
We’ve answered 317,456 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question