Better Students Ask More Questions.
Make a list of positives and negatives during Stalin's rule.
1 Answer | add yours
- the rapid industrialization and modernization of the Soviet economy.
- education for many Soviet citizens, especially those in cities.
- growth of the Soviet Union into a global power, dwarfing the European powers and rivaling the United States.
- millions of small farmers forced onto collective farms, and starved (deliberately) due to Stalin's policies. This was particularly horrible in the Ukraine.
- the murder of millions of alleged opponents of Stalin's rule during the infamous purges.
- the devotion of resources to industrialization at the expense of standard of living.
- harsh limitations on speech and expression, reaching totalitarian levels. Stalin developed a police state that exceeded even the considerable brutality of the tsarist regime.
- expansion into Eastern Europe, establishing client states.
Clearly, the list of negatives will be quite a bit longer, and it cannot be emphasized enough that no equivalence or balance is implied by stating the positives. But Stalin's rule did witness the following positives:
On the other hand, the human cost of these advances was astonishing. The negative consequences of Stalin's rule included:
Posted by rrteacher on October 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM (Answer #1)
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.