1 Answer | Add Yours
Unfortunately, entering the molecules in text from makes it hard to see the connectivity you are trying to show to identify functional groups.
Pew can identify the groups by the following characteristics
- Alcohol -OH group attached to a carbon and can be on any carbon in the compound
- Aldehyde Double bonded oxygen attached to a terminal carbon atom
- Ketone. Like an aldehyde bit is attached to a non-terminal carbon
- Carboxylic acid. Terminal carbon has both a double bonded oxygen and a -OH group attached.
- Aromatic. Alternating double bonds. Most common example is benzene.
- ETher. Like carboxylic acid but the H is replaced by a chain of one or more carbon atoms
- Ester. Contains a carbon-oxygen-carbon bond where the oxygen is part of the chain.
- Amine. Nitrogen with some combination of three H groups and/or carbon chains
- Amide. Nitrogen with two H and/or carbon chains. The third group must be a carbon chain with the carbon nearest to the N having a double bonded oxygen.
We’ve answered 317,361 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question