Homework Help

How Much Of The Earth's Surface Is Land And How Much Is Water?

user profile pic

enotes | Valedictorian

Posted October 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM via web

dislike 1 like

How Much Of The Earth's Surface Is Land And How Much Is Water?

2 Answers | Add Yours

user profile pic

fact-finder | Valedictorian

Posted October 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM (Answer #1)

dislike 1 like

Land covers 29.22 percent of the Earth's surface. This is about 57.5 million square miles (149 x 106 square kilometers). Water covers the other 70.78 percent of the Earth's surface. This is about 139.4 million square miles (361 x 106 square kilometers).

Source: Barnes-Svarney, Patricia. The New York Public Library Science Desk Reference, p. 372.

user profile pic

agasmith96 | Student, Grade 10 | Valedictorian

Posted November 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM (Answer #2)

dislike 1 like

I believe that the percentage of land is closer to 20% rather than 30. Land covers around 20% of the earth's surface and water the other 80%.

97% of the world's water is seawater, and only 3% is fresh water.

Only 1% of the earth's water is suitable for drinking.

And only about 0.08% of the world's drinkable water is accessible to humans.

Join to answer this question

Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.

Join eNotes