- Download PDF
1 Answer | Add Yours
Currently, there are officially eight planets in our solar system.
These planets are:
Mercury until Mars are called the Inner Planets, while the rest are the Outer Planets.
Up until 2006, Pluto was considered as the ninth planet of the Solar System -- this changed after the adaptation of the modern definition of planets.
Also within the solar system are five dwarf planets (recognized by IUA):
- Pluto (previously the 9th planet)
- Ceres (between Mars and Jupiter)
- Haumea (beyond Neptune's orbit)
- Makemake (in Kupier Belt)
- Eris (beyond Neptune's orbit)
Other dwarf planets are recognized by other institutions.
We’ve answered 323,993 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question