8 Answers | Add Yours
There are 17 non-metals besides the metalloids
Except for the elements that border the stair-stepped line, the elements to the right of the line are classified as nonmetals (along with hydrogen). Nonmetals have properties opposite those of the metals.
The nonmetals are brittle, not malleable or ductile, poor conductors of both heat and electricity, and tend to gain electrons in chemical reactions. Some nonmetals are liquids. These elements are shown in the following figure.
there are 17 non metal in the periodic table that are not metalloids.
-Poor conductors of heat and electricity
- Can nclude gases (for instance helium, argon, chlorine, oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen), as well as solids (for instance carbon, sulphur and iodine). Bromine is the only non-metal liquid.
-Solid nonmetals are brittle
- Tend to gain electrons in reactions with metals to form negatively charged ions
- Share electrons in reactions with other nonmetals Semimetals
- Exhibit properties intermediate between metals and nonmetals Metals, Nonmetals, and Semimetals
There are a total of definitely at least 17 non-metals in the periodic table, which are as follows :
- Hydrogen (Z=1)
- Helium (Z=2)
- Carbon (Z=6)
- Nitrogen (Z=7)
- Oxygen (Z=8)
- Fluorine (Z=9)
- Neon (Z=10)
- Phosphorous (Z=15)
- Sulphur (Z=16)
- Chlorine (Z=17)
- Argon (Z=18)
- Selinium (Z=34)(Disputed)
- Bromine (Z=35)
- Krypton (Z=36)
- Iodine (Z=53)
- Xenon (Z=54)
- Radon (Z=86)
The dispute arises about many metalloids, which, like Selinuim, is sometimes classified as metalloid in environmental chemistry and metalloids are sometimes classified as non-metals(e.g. Astantine). So in case you get a question like this in some examination, the safest and closest to correct answer would be17. Hope this helps!
17 non metal
There are 17 non-metals in the periodic table, excluding metalloids
There are 22.
There are 22 non metals present in peariodic table.
We’ve answered 333,466 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question