How have people become overly dependent on technology?
6 Answers | Add Yours
This is a great question to ask in this day and age. You only need to have a look at the way in which people are permanently attached to their mobiles and Ipads to see ways in which we are too attached to technology. Here are three arguments that you could use to support such a position:
1) Note the way that more and more people do not wear simple things like wrist watches, as they have the time on their mobile phones. Watches are fast becoming anachronistic.
2) You also might like to think about the way in which knowledge and our relationship with it is changing. When I was younger, we used to have to learn lots of facts off by heart. Now, children don't learn such things off by heart as what they want to know is instantly obtainable on the web.
3) Lastly, just ask yourself how many times a day you and your friends go online. I go online during the course of a normal working day at least 10 times, and I use the internet to carry out my job as a teacher as well as to communicate with friends and to buy stuff. More and more every day actions are becoming dependent on the internet.
People have become overly dependent on technology because nowadays you see kids on their phones all the time whether at a party or in line for a store, technology captivates their attention too much which can also lead to eye damage. They use the calculator for the littlest things such as 2 plus 2 equals 4. They know this but to get the easy way out the use the devices and technology and even though technology can be helpful it is creating just as big of an issue.
A key thing to think about here is the word "overly", not just dependent. People have become overly dependent in the sense that it seems as if they can no longer function in every day living without their cell phones, tablets, and computers. Lots of people nowadays write notes and memos to themselves or grocery lists in their phones rather than trying to remember these by themselves. What happens then when someone goes to the grocery store without his or her phone? They are left essentially unable to function efficiently because they have to waste more time trying to remember what they were supposed to buy. This obstacle into normal living, I think, is what shows our over dependence on technology.
People become dependent over technology when they can no longer stay away from their phones, computers, or anything that has to do with technology. Some people always use their electronics and never stop.
People have become overly dependent in technology in many ways. I personally wouldn't consider someone who uses their phone a lot throughout the day or goes on the internet a lot overly dependent, unless they can't seem to function without it. However there are many ways that show people are overly dependent in technology.
Some of the ways (which differ for each situation and does not include all people/businesses):
- The Internet goes down at work and shuts down all work for the day.
- If someone's computer crashes they can't do any of the work they need to.
- Don't know how to read a map because GPS takes care of that
- People miss many moments that are going on now because they are too busy trying to record the moment and are concentrating on getting a great picture or video rather than enjoying the moment.
- Knowing phone numbers off the top of your head is often rare because there are contact books in phones.
- Many people read and order a lot of things online, which can make it unneeded for as many stores, newspapers, and printed magazines to be around.
- People become too unsure of what to do when they are caught without their phone, iPod, etc.
People have become overly dependent over technology to the point that they can not live without it. They have to use it wherever they go and whenever they can use it.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes