Homework Help

How do you determine the average mass of the element chlorine which is composed of...

user profile pic

sandrahomburg | Student, Grade 10 | eNoter

Posted February 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM via web

dislike 1 like

How do you determine the average mass of the element chlorine which is composed of 24.4% Cl (mass number 35) and 75.6% Cl (mass number 37). 

1 Answer | Add Yours

user profile pic

justaguide | College Teacher | (Level 2) Distinguished Educator

Posted February 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM (Answer #1)

dislike 1 like

The sample of the element chlorine consists of two isotopes, the isotope with mass 35 g/mol constitutes 24.4% of the sample and the isotope with mass 37 constitutes the remaining 75.6%. It can be seen that 24.4 + 75.6 = 100%, the two isotopes make up 100% of the sample's composition. For the mass of the two isotopes, the mass number that is given is used.

The average mass of the element is the weighted average mass of the two isotopes. This gives a mass of (0.244*35 + 0.756*37) = 36.512

The average mass of the chlorine sample is 36.512 g/mol

Join to answer this question

Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.

Join eNotes