In "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," how did Tarry Town get its name?
1 Answer | Add Yours
According to Washington Irving in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," the village of Tarry Town (later, Tarrytown) got its name
... by the good housewives of the adjacent country from the inveterate propensity of their husbands to linger about the village tavern on market days.
Thus, the town was named for the malingerers, or those who tarried, about the local pub. Present-day Tarrytown is a part of the larger town of Greenburgh, New York (founded in 1788). It is situated on the eastern shore of the Hudson River, not far from the Tappan Zee Bridge. The earliest settlers of Tarry Town were the Weckquaesgeeks Indians, a branch of the Mohicans. The first Europeans to settle the village were the Dutch, who arrived as early as 1645.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes