Better Students Ask More Questions.
How can I improve my English to become an English teacher? I'm a junior university...
Topic: TeachersHow can I improve my English to become an English teacher?
I'm a junior university student. I study English literature, in order for me to become an English teacher. However I really wanna improve my English and specially my communication skills and speaking!
11 Answers | add yours
- One way to improve is to find all of the opportunities to speak that you can. Volunteer to get up in front of the class and speak. Look for opportunities to practice your language skills.
- Another way is to tape record your speaking and find what you need to improve. By listening to your own speech patterns, you will be able to correct grammatical, mechanical, or oral mistakes.
- Practice, practice, practice...however, only if you are saying the right things. Practicing the wrong way will not help.
- Tongue twisters are good practice for moving the speech mechanisms and improving your fluidity and flow. You can find many tongue twisters on-line.
- Choose some famous speeches or poems and memorize them and say them over and over. For example: the Gettysburg Address; Robert Frost's poetry; and parts of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. This practice will help to get you into the pattern of choosing the right words.
- Again practicing something that is correct will help you to choose the right words on your own.
Posted by slander on October 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM (Answer #2)
Um read, read and read? I love reading, and it shows! I usually top in English Language. Also, it does help if you practice. Loads of past papers on the net. Every weekend, I take one and try to finish it in the alloted time so I practice writing fast. And you could save the marking schemes and check your points with that too.
Posted by nicoledesilva on October 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM (Answer #3)
Reading is definitely a good idea, but I also believe listening to the news (either on TV or on the radio) would help a lot because newscasters are supposed to be eloquent and have good English vocabulary. Both reading ang listening to the news will help you obtain a more varied vocabulary, and listening to the news will also help you learn what is a more formal way of the English language (you need to know that because you hope to become an English teacher).
Posted by eagudelo on October 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM (Answer #4)
There are many things that you can do to improve your English. Let me suggest three of them.
First, you should be an avid reader and try to read broadly. As you probably know English literature is broad in every sense of the world. For example, there are the tragedies of Shakespeare and the political theory of modern authors and even the modern playwrights such as Arthur Miller.
Second, since you want to be a teacher, you should also take some courses on education as it focuses on teaching English. Your university should offer courses.
Finally, you should seek an internship at a school. Many schools offer programs such as this. In this way, you can be a student teacher.
Posted by readerofbooks on October 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM (Answer #5)
Thank you very much :)
Posted by slander on October 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM (Answer #6)
All of the answers above are very good and will help you.
I admire you for wanting to improve your speech. That is half of the battle.
Posted by carol-davis on October 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM (Answer #8)
Thank you so much :)
Posted by slander on October 25, 2012 at 6:02 AM (Answer #11)
Valedictorian, Super Tutor, Tutor
watch english spoken english movies
u should try to repeat the sub titles given below the screen
it will improve ur pronunciation
Posted by bullbudder on October 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM (Answer #12)
Valedictorian, Super Tutor, Tutor
I believe communication will help you. Reading, writing and more communication will help. Use english in every aspect possible.
Posted by bullbudder on November 3, 2012 at 4:42 AM (Answer #13)
practice more. It always helps practising more and more. Read lots of books, watch english movies and try writing something of your own.
Posted by suzannah304 on November 3, 2012 at 4:46 AM (Answer #13)
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.