Better Students Ask More Questions.
Hi, Does anyone have discussion questions for Mark Twain's "How to Tell a...
1 Answer | add yours
High School Teacher
I sometimes use this essay to begin my unit on storytelling. I have a short quiz that I use with my class that lets me know that they were paying attention. I have listed the questions below. Hope this helps.
1. What does Mark Twain states that he knows?
2. Mark Twain states that there are many types of stories, but only one difficult kind. What type of story did Twain consider to be difficult and why?
3. According to Twain, where do “witty” stories come from?
4. According to Twain, where do “comic” stories come from?
5. What four storytellers does Twain reference in this essay?
6. Write a brief summary of the anecdote Twain relates in this essay.
7. What is a “nub?”
8. In Twain’s opinion, how long should it take a storyteller to relate a humorous story?
9. Write a brief summary of “The Golden Arm.” Why is it humorous?
10. What are the differences between a humorous story, a witty story and a comic story?
Posted by ladyvols1 on July 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM (Answer #2)
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.