Hi, Does anyone have discussion questions for Mark Twain's "How to Tell a Story?"
Many, many thanks, Marian
1 Answer | Add Yours
I sometimes use this essay to begin my unit on storytelling. I have a short quiz that I use with my class that lets me know that they were paying attention. I have listed the questions below. Hope this helps.
1. What does Mark Twain states that he knows?
2. Mark Twain states that there are many types of stories, but only one difficult kind. What type of story did Twain consider to be difficult and why?
3. According to Twain, where do “witty” stories come from?
4. According to Twain, where do “comic” stories come from?
5. What four storytellers does Twain reference in this essay?
6. Write a brief summary of the anecdote Twain relates in this essay.
7. What is a “nub?”
8. In Twain’s opinion, how long should it take a storyteller to relate a humorous story?
9. Write a brief summary of “The Golden Arm.” Why is it humorous?
10. What are the differences between a humorous story, a witty story and a comic story?
We’ve answered 324,698 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question