Homework Help

Does your family doctor provide you with your C-reactive protein levels when you are...

user profile pic

kisstopher83 | Student, Undergraduate | (Level 1) Honors

Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM via web

dislike 1 like

Does your family doctor provide you with your C-reactive protein levels when you are tested for your cholesterol?

After researching this particular topic from the above paragraph, will you personally (or continually) ask your physician to test for this?


1 Answer | Add Yours

user profile pic

pacorz | High School Teacher | (Level 3) Educator

Posted October 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM (Answer #1)

dislike 1 like

Whether or not your doctor orders a C-reactive protein test along with a cholesterol test or lipid panel depends on a couple of factors. One is, frankly, what your health insurance will pay for. Another is your age and risk factors, along with your health record. A cholesterol test or lipid panel will give a good indication of how much lipid of which type (HDL,LDL, or triglyceride) is circulating in your bloodstream. From the levels of the different types, one can calculate a risk factor. If the risk factor is low, generally the C-reactive protein test is not required. If, however, the risk factor is high, or if the patient has already had some heart or circulatory issues or other risk factors such as a history of smoking, then a C-reactive protein test may also called for.

C-reactive protein is produced by the liver in response to inflammation in the linings of the blood vessels, which commonly occurs in arterial plaques or atheromas; a high level of C-reactive protein is a reliable indicator of an increased risk of stroke or heart attack.

Join to answer this question

Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.

Join eNotes